Posted on April 4, 2015
The Benefits of Playing Zills for Mind, Body and Soul
Learning to play the zills will complement your dance training but it can offer much more. Many dancers discover that playing finger cymbals provides benefits that extend beyond their belly dance classes as they notice the positive emotional, mental and physical benefits of learning percussion. Five Healthy Reasons to Practice Percussion
- Become a Musician as well as a Dancer
- It’s your Brain Gym
- Connect with Yourself and Others
- Playing zills in class is oftentimes a group activity. Dancers and musicians work together to practice and produce layered and complex songs and dances. Even the newest percussionist can play a simple pattern while more experienced players fill and hold the piece.
- Percussion is a team building exercise. As we learn to play zills we are watching and listening to each other. This overflows into dance as well. We need to be communicative, comfortable and in tune when reaching a common goal with our troupes and classmates.
- Playing finger cymbals is fantastic for self expression. When you learn music you gain the ability to play with and within the music. There are a seemingly infinite number of rhythms and patterns that can be played within the beat of the music and this unleashes a serious amount of creative and artistic potential; the chance to be heard and the opportunity to work as an individual within a group, or as a soloist.
- Reduce Stress and Ground Yourself
- Percussion increases alpha waves in the brain leading to a calmer mind. Drumming and percussion can be used to help treat individuals with over-active or hyper-vigilant minds.
- Sometimes we are out of sync with ourselves. This can manifest as sickness, addiction and even self-centeredness. There is something to be said regarding the act of physically syncing and its result on mental and emotional synchronicity.
- Life has natural rhythms and percussion helps us to feel the earth, nature and universe in more deep and profound ways.
- Zills are Fun!
Guest Writer Kaleena is a student and teacher studying under the tutelage of Roula Said at Om Laila Studio in Toronto for belly dance, wellness and music. She has discovered the benefits of playing zills as a dance artist and as an individual seeking new and fun ways to achieve a powerful mind-body connection. She attends Om Laila for its focus on artistic, intellectual and personal growth. Visit Kaleena’s belly dance blog, Kaleena Belly Dance to read more. Guest writers are welcome to submit articles relating to their experiences at Om Laila Studio. Please write to Roula with your idea at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted in arabic music lessons,Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Toronto Bellydance,zill lessons | Tagged bellydance classes bellydance toronto om laila studio Toronto Zills
One response to “The Benefits of Playing Zills for Mind, Body and Soul”
Renaming these healing cocoons WombCradles. No words for how good they feel. Part of every private class at Om Laila Studio. #privateclasseswithroula #dropintothedeep #aah #wombcradle #wombcradles #wombconsciousness #wombcentral