Posted on March 13, 2015
Om Laila’s Bellydance Choir is competing at the Star Bellydancer Canada Competition this Sunday, March 15!
The choir is a very special group that has a keen interest in dancing, singing and playing percussion with Roula Said at Om Laila Studio in Toronto. We are a self-accompanied performance ensemble. The Om Laila Bellydance Choir sprouted last spring with only a few members and has since grown to 10! In almost a year this group has made great strides and has performed together many times within the bellydance and Middle Eastern communities and for private events.
Here’s some Interesting Facts about the Bellydance Choir
1. We perform 90% of the time to live music and Roula Said’s vocals. However, we also learn our dances to prerecorded tracks so we have the ability to perform without our band and singers.
2. We have 5 numbers so far but they are never performed the same way twice. The group is very versatile and this allows us to perform with any number and combination of singers and dancers available for the show!
3. Different Bellydance Choir members have different interests and goals. Some want to learn the songs, others the dances and some want to learn it all. Our commonality is the desire to authentically represent belly dancing as a rich and beautiful art form and to have fun while we’re at it.
4. Our numbers have many layers. Most of the group learns the song first in choir class, or a choreography in weekly classes and/or workshops. From there, the performers learn the piece in stages. The last step is usually adding zills/percussion.
5. This is our first time competing but last year Roula was one of the judges! We will likely be the only group in the troupe division performing to live music.
6. The Bellydance Choir operates as two classes. The choir is taught by Roula at 7 pm on Thursday and the Choreography class is with Kaleena at 8. This is a class format so some attendees are learning to perform with the Bellydance Choir while other belly dance students just want to be in class to improve their musicality or to learn the lyrics and meaning to popular Arabic songs.
7. After the competition we plan to slow the pace and welcome new students to this delightful and happening ensemble. If you are interested in attending choir and/or choreo class write to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very excited to participate in the competition and would love to have friends come out to see and support us. To buy tickets visit the Star Bellydancer Canada official page!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance workshops Classes performances Toronto
Posted on October 31, 2014
The seasons are changing and it’s the perfect opportunity to spend more time indoors bellydancing! Autumn is a time of letting go, itemizing blessings, recounting joys and balancing dark with light. Try reflecting on this significant seasonal change while walking the path to the studio and enjoying the garden’s new fall look!
Om Laila is preparing for a show that will be taking place on Saturday November 8 at May Cafe. The venue is at 876 Dundas Street West and is ideal for dinner, drinks and pinball! This show will feature 3 talented dancers: Alexandra Talbot, Anuka and Saba. We are also happy to re-debut a more grown up version of the Om Laila Bellydance Choir that will include 3 dancers and 6 singers!
You can purchase advance tickets through Paypal or get in at the door for $20
And remember to join the Event Group on Facebook for updates!
While you are eagerly awaiting next Saturday enjoy this performance by Roula from a show at Lula Lounge last week. This Ala Warag Il Foull choreography is being taught in the Level 3 class!
Om Laila studio is into a new fall term. Most classes are full or are filling up but it’s never too late to drop in or join a class that still has some space. Write to email@example.com to check availability and to come by for belly dancing or singing. The studio is also now taking payments by credit card!
The final Sing, Dance and Bring the Drama Warda workshop is sold out but there is a waiting list so write to Roula if you are interested in coming out to dig deep into the song, Batwannes Beek.
The Choir is still free to current students and $50/7 weeks otherwise. We rehearse Thursday at 7 and learning the choreography to the songs we are learning is at 8pm (PWYC)
On a final note, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Om Laila students are very creative!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto bellydance workshops laila studio Om Laila performances
Posted on October 23, 2014
We can’t believe the first fall term has already come and gone! This has been a fun and productive 7 weeks. The beginners are learning Essential Bellydance technique, while Level 2 and 3 continue to work on their technique, in addition to learning choreography with a healthy dose of Seven Waves thrown in to the mix. The Musical Dancer class on Thursday at 6 is learning a choreography that is danced to just the percussive sounds of their own zills!
This will also be the last term to register for the Bellydance Choir at $50/7 weeks. Prices will go up in the New Year.
If you are currently enrolled in the Bellydance Choir and would like to learn the choreography to be an even more versatile performer Kaleena is now teaching and rehearsing choreography from 8-9 right after the choir rehearsal. This class is pay what you can with a $10 suggested donation.
For more details about classes and workshops check out the newsletter.
Upcoming Events and Workshops
TONIGHT – Roula is dancing with the Maryem Tollar Ensemble at Lula Lounge! Show starts at 8. Click here for more information
This coming Sunday is the second Sing, Dance and Bring the Drama workshop. There is one spot left. Contact the studio if you would like to reserve this spot!
Finally, on November 8 Nomadica and Om Laila Dancers will be performing at May Cafe! We had an amazing show in July and no doubt this one will be equally groovy. A little less performers this time and more dancing for guests!
See you in the next term!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged bellydance classes bellydance toronto bellydance workshops Musical Dancer Nomadica om laila studio performances Saghat Toronto Zills
Posted on September 17, 2014
The new term of classes is well underway but new students can drop in for $20 any time!
This week Level 1 is working on essential bellydance moves: tilts, slides, twists and “the drawer,” as well as basic hip drops. The Level 2 class learned Roula’s basic zill methodology and has started on a new choreography.
Level 3 tonight at 6, followed by mixed level technique. The Musical Dancer Class is tomorrow at 6 (zill emphasis) and Musical Dancer Choir at 7 (singing). Any Om Laila student can attend the Musical Dancer Choir for free. For Non-Students the term fee is $50.
The 11:00 am Seven Waves class is FULL but there is almost enough students to start one Tuesdays at 11:00 am. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot.
Two events coming up soon!
Finally, Om Laila Studio’s Fall Workshop Series starts with the first on Sunday September 28. This three-part series is a tribute to Warda and focuses on learning the song and a choreography. Each choreography has a different character and energy to embody and communicate. More information on the Workshop Page and there is also a Facebook Event Group. Take one or take them all!
See you in class!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged bellydance classes bellydance toronto bellydance workshops om laila studio performances Toronto
Renaming these healing cocoons WombCradles. No words for how good they feel. Part of every private class at Om Laila Studio. #privateclasseswithroula #dropintothedeep #aah #wombcradle #wombcradles #wombconsciousness #wombcentral