Posted on March 13, 2015
Om Laila’s Bellydance Choir is competing at the Star Bellydancer Canada Competition this Sunday, March 15!
The choir is a very special group that has a keen interest in dancing, singing and playing percussion with Roula Said at Om Laila Studio in Toronto. We are a self-accompanied performance ensemble. The Om Laila Bellydance Choir sprouted last spring with only a few members and has since grown to 10! In almost a year this group has made great strides and has performed together many times within the bellydance and Middle Eastern communities and for private events.
Here’s some Interesting Facts about the Bellydance Choir
1. We perform 90% of the time to live music and Roula Said’s vocals. However, we also learn our dances to prerecorded tracks so we have the ability to perform without our band and singers.
2. We have 5 numbers so far but they are never performed the same way twice. The group is very versatile and this allows us to perform with any number and combination of singers and dancers available for the show!
3. Different Bellydance Choir members have different interests and goals. Some want to learn the songs, others the dances and some want to learn it all. Our commonality is the desire to authentically represent belly dancing as a rich and beautiful art form and to have fun while we’re at it.
4. Our numbers have many layers. Most of the group learns the song first in choir class, or a choreography in weekly classes and/or workshops. From there, the performers learn the piece in stages. The last step is usually adding zills/percussion.
5. This is our first time competing but last year Roula was one of the judges! We will likely be the only group in the troupe division performing to live music.
6. The Bellydance Choir operates as two classes. The choir is taught by Roula at 7 pm on Thursday and the Choreography class is with Kaleena at 8. This is a class format so some attendees are learning to perform with the Bellydance Choir while other belly dance students just want to be in class to improve their musicality or to learn the lyrics and meaning to popular Arabic songs.
7. After the competition we plan to slow the pace and welcome new students to this delightful and happening ensemble. If you are interested in attending choir and/or choreo class write to email@example.com
We are very excited to participate in the competition and would love to have friends come out to see and support us. To buy tickets visit the Star Bellydancer Canada official page!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance workshops Classes performances Toronto
Posted on December 15, 2014
Today is the last day of classes before the holiday break and will resume on Monday January 5th.Registration is now open to sign up for the new term. Om Laila is a boutique space with limited class sizes so register soon to guarantee your spot!
The studio also has some new signage that we’re very happy about. You will be seeing this new look around the website and social media pages
Om Laila’s Badass Bellydance Bash
Om Laila and Nomadica had an amazing show on Saturday night at Mây Cafe. Many of our friends came out to see us perform and to celebrate the start of the holiday season. Soloists, Melissa Gamal, Michelle MacAleese and Miruna Soiu rocked their performances and Om’s students also brought it in a big way!! Here’s the videos from the performing classes. The first is the Om Laila Bellydance Choir’s back to back number Ala Warag il Foul and the Zill/Drum Solo, which was also a collaboration between level 3 and the Musical Dancer class.
The second video is the level 2’s performing La Te Tab Alayee
Stay in touch for more events like this is 2015 and here is the upcoming schedule:
January 2015 Schedule:
Mondays – 7 weeks –
January 5 – February 23 (no class Feb 16):
6:00 -7:15 Essential Bellydance II w/ Roula
7:30 – 8:45 Essential Bellydance I w/ Roula
Tuesdays – 4 weeks – January 6 – January 27
11:00 – 1 pm: Intensive for Intermediate – Pro dancers w/ Roula:
1 hour Seven Waves, 1hour zill building
Wednesdays – 7 weeks January 7 – February 18:
6:00 – 7:15 Essential Bellydance III
Wednesdays – 4 weeks – January 7 – January 28:
7:30 – 8:45 – Introductory Course with Liz
Thursdays – 7 weeks – January 8 – February 19
11:00 – 12:15 Essential Bellydance/Seven Waves
6:00 – 7:00 Musical Dancer Foundations w Roula
7:00 – 8:00 Bellydancer Choir w Roula
8:00 – 9:00 Choir Choreography with Kaleena
Saturdays – 7 weeks – January 10 – February 21
11:00 – 12:00 Karma Bellydance with Shaila
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance,Uncategorized | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances Toronto
Posted on November 10, 2014
The show on Saturday night was a lot of fun. The energy was fantastic. We love dancing to a live band. It’s such a cool vibe.
One of the most exciting parts of the show was the Om Laila Bellydance Choir’s re-debut. Back in July when the studio hosted the Steamy Summer Celebration at Mây Cafe the choir was just a sprout with a couple of songs and members. The ensemble has gorwn! Check them out now!
Every performance was amazing, including a solo from our Flamenco turned belly dancer Alexandra Talbot!
The next show is on Saturday December 13 and this one will be a student showcase with guest dancers including solo and group pieces. The entire show will be to live music, which is pretty darn cool!
Stay tuned for details!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances Toronto
Posted on October 31, 2014
The seasons are changing and it’s the perfect opportunity to spend more time indoors bellydancing! Autumn is a time of letting go, itemizing blessings, recounting joys and balancing dark with light. Try reflecting on this significant seasonal change while walking the path to the studio and enjoying the garden’s new fall look!
Om Laila is preparing for a show that will be taking place on Saturday November 8 at May Cafe. The venue is at 876 Dundas Street West and is ideal for dinner, drinks and pinball! This show will feature 3 talented dancers: Alexandra Talbot, Anuka and Saba. We are also happy to re-debut a more grown up version of the Om Laila Bellydance Choir that will include 3 dancers and 6 singers!
You can purchase advance tickets through Paypal or get in at the door for $20
And remember to join the Event Group on Facebook for updates!
While you are eagerly awaiting next Saturday enjoy this performance by Roula from a show at Lula Lounge last week. This Ala Warag Il Foull choreography is being taught in the Level 3 class!
Om Laila studio is into a new fall term. Most classes are full or are filling up but it’s never too late to drop in or join a class that still has some space. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org to check availability and to come by for belly dancing or singing. The studio is also now taking payments by credit card!
The final Sing, Dance and Bring the Drama Warda workshop is sold out but there is a waiting list so write to Roula if you are interested in coming out to dig deep into the song, Batwannes Beek.
The Choir is still free to current students and $50/7 weeks otherwise. We rehearse Thursday at 7 and learning the choreography to the songs we are learning is at 8pm (PWYC)
On a final note, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Om Laila students are very creative!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto bellydance workshops laila studio Om Laila performances
Renaming these healing cocoons WombCradles. No words for how good they feel. Part of every private class at Om Laila Studio. #privateclasseswithroula #dropintothedeep #aah #wombcradle #wombcradles #wombconsciousness #wombcentral