Posted on March 13, 2015
Om Laila’s Bellydance Choir is competing at the Star Bellydancer Canada Competition this Sunday, March 15!
The choir is a very special group that has a keen interest in dancing, singing and playing percussion with Roula Said at Om Laila Studio in Toronto. We are a self-accompanied performance ensemble. The Om Laila Bellydance Choir sprouted last spring with only a few members and has since grown to 10! In almost a year this group has made great strides and has performed together many times within the bellydance and Middle Eastern communities and for private events.
Here’s some Interesting Facts about the Bellydance Choir
1. We perform 90% of the time to live music and Roula Said’s vocals. However, we also learn our dances to prerecorded tracks so we have the ability to perform without our band and singers.
2. We have 5 numbers so far but they are never performed the same way twice. The group is very versatile and this allows us to perform with any number and combination of singers and dancers available for the show!
3. Different Bellydance Choir members have different interests and goals. Some want to learn the songs, others the dances and some want to learn it all. Our commonality is the desire to authentically represent belly dancing as a rich and beautiful art form and to have fun while we’re at it.
4. Our numbers have many layers. Most of the group learns the song first in choir class, or a choreography in weekly classes and/or workshops. From there, the performers learn the piece in stages. The last step is usually adding zills/percussion.
5. This is our first time competing but last year Roula was one of the judges! We will likely be the only group in the troupe division performing to live music.
6. The Bellydance Choir operates as two classes. The choir is taught by Roula at 7 pm on Thursday and the Choreography class is with Kaleena at 8. This is a class format so some attendees are learning to perform with the Bellydance Choir while other belly dance students just want to be in class to improve their musicality or to learn the lyrics and meaning to popular Arabic songs.
7. After the competition we plan to slow the pace and welcome new students to this delightful and happening ensemble. If you are interested in attending choir and/or choreo class write to email@example.com
We are very excited to participate in the competition and would love to have friends come out to see and support us. To buy tickets visit the Star Bellydancer Canada official page!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance workshops Classes performances Toronto
Posted on January 27, 2015
Class at Om Laila have been off to a great start! We also had a full and fun zill workshop that included take home videos of drills and songs to play along with. We covered patterns, rhythms and a song. There was a lot of ringing, clacking and 1,2,3s!
We also have another show coming up on February 7th with Nomadica. Performances at Om Laila’s Luscious Love-In include Abigail, Valizan, Kranti and studio dancers Kaleena, Liz and Shaila. Here is the Facebook event group!
Roula is on holiday this week but the students are still attending classes to rehearse their material from this term. This is a collaborative effort between students that don’t want to miss a week of dance and music. Anyone is welcome to join in on these classes. It’s PWYC.
It’s cold outside but the studio is nice and toasty. Come visit anytime!
Finally, we have a new poster in the studio! Yay!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances
Posted on December 15, 2014
Today is the last day of classes before the holiday break and will resume on Monday January 5th.Registration is now open to sign up for the new term. Om Laila is a boutique space with limited class sizes so register soon to guarantee your spot!
The studio also has some new signage that we’re very happy about. You will be seeing this new look around the website and social media pages
Om Laila’s Badass Bellydance Bash
Om Laila and Nomadica had an amazing show on Saturday night at Mây Cafe. Many of our friends came out to see us perform and to celebrate the start of the holiday season. Soloists, Melissa Gamal, Michelle MacAleese and Miruna Soiu rocked their performances and Om’s students also brought it in a big way!! Here’s the videos from the performing classes. The first is the Om Laila Bellydance Choir’s back to back number Ala Warag il Foul and the Zill/Drum Solo, which was also a collaboration between level 3 and the Musical Dancer class.
The second video is the level 2’s performing La Te Tab Alayee
Stay in touch for more events like this is 2015 and here is the upcoming schedule:
January 2015 Schedule:
Mondays – 7 weeks –
January 5 – February 23 (no class Feb 16):
6:00 -7:15 Essential Bellydance II w/ Roula
7:30 – 8:45 Essential Bellydance I w/ Roula
Tuesdays – 4 weeks – January 6 – January 27
11:00 – 1 pm: Intensive for Intermediate – Pro dancers w/ Roula:
1 hour Seven Waves, 1hour zill building
Wednesdays – 7 weeks January 7 – February 18:
6:00 – 7:15 Essential Bellydance III
Wednesdays – 4 weeks – January 7 – January 28:
7:30 – 8:45 – Introductory Course with Liz
Thursdays – 7 weeks – January 8 – February 19
11:00 – 12:15 Essential Bellydance/Seven Waves
6:00 – 7:00 Musical Dancer Foundations w Roula
7:00 – 8:00 Bellydancer Choir w Roula
8:00 – 9:00 Choir Choreography with Kaleena
Saturdays – 7 weeks – January 10 – February 21
11:00 – 12:00 Karma Bellydance with Shaila
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance,Uncategorized | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances Toronto
Posted on November 26, 2014
Om Laila has been busy working toward improving the experience and relationship with our students. Here’s a few things to look forward to:
- Om Laila is making it easier than ever before to register for classes or to schedule a demo to try a class. You can register by clicking here.
- New (and groovy, have to say) lighting has been set up to guide you to the secret treehouse studio. Sometimes you have to go through darkness to get to the light…but not when you’re on your way to class!
- The next studio show is on December 13th. If you haven’t joined the event group, please do and share your enthusiasm with us and our guests. Here is the event group.
- New beginner classes will be added to the schedule in the New Year and your old favourites will remain the same. If you know a friend that wants to try belly dancing, pick up some postcards the next time you’re in the studio and tell them about us!
The new studio just passed its first birthday! If you have taken classes or workshops at the studio, or have seen our shows, we ‘d love to hear feedback either privately by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing us a testimonial. It would be greatly appreciated! Little businesses need like Om Laila need your help to spread the word!
Leave Feedback on:
Google Places (search Om Laila Studio in Toronto to find the listing!)
Okay, one more picture from the last show…because we really like it!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Toronto Bellydance,Uncategorized | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances Toronto
Posted on November 10, 2014
The show on Saturday night was a lot of fun. The energy was fantastic. We love dancing to a live band. It’s such a cool vibe.
One of the most exciting parts of the show was the Om Laila Bellydance Choir’s re-debut. Back in July when the studio hosted the Steamy Summer Celebration at Mây Cafe the choir was just a sprout with a couple of songs and members. The ensemble has gorwn! Check them out now!
Every performance was amazing, including a solo from our Flamenco turned belly dancer Alexandra Talbot!
The next show is on Saturday December 13 and this one will be a student showcase with guest dancers including solo and group pieces. The entire show will be to live music, which is pretty darn cool!
Stay tuned for details!
Posted in Bellydance,Classes,Om Laila,Performances,Toronto Bellydance | Tagged Bellydance choir bellydance classes bellydance toronto Musical Dancer Nomadica Om Laila om laila studio performances Toronto
Renaming these healing cocoons WombCradles. No words for how good they feel. Part of every private class at Om Laila Studio. #privateclasseswithroula #dropintothedeep #aah #wombcradle #wombcradles #wombconsciousness #wombcentral